Arrested? You've Got to be Kidding Me!

Oh...One of THOSE days!
Pura went out with friends a few days ago and made a complete disaster of life. Crazy bad choices and let's just say...mug shot! Are you kidding me? I know I signed on to take care of her, and I never once have backed down from that responsibility. But I did not ever think I would be paying a bail. Her call from the station was the most shocking call I have ever received in my life:

"Nichole?"

"Pura? Where are you? What's wrong?" I knew something was wrong because she called me by name and she never does that. Not even when we're in company. She simply does not refer to me if we're in front of others, rather than call me something other than "Mistress."

"I need you to listen very carefully and try not to freak out. Okay?"

"You're scaring me. Are you okay?" I waited impatiently while she remained silent. Finally, at long last, she drew a shaky breath.

She spoke tearfully, "I've been arrested. I'm so sorry! I need you to come bail me out."

You can probably imagine my reaction. Now kick up your imagination five notches. That begins to explain how furious I was. I wanted to scream.

"Where are you?" I demanded. She continued to try to apologize, but that was not happening! "WHERE ARE YOU?!"

She whispered her answer, and I told her I would be there soon. "I cannot believe this!" I snapped at her as I hung up the phone.

The station and bail-making was all a big mess I would rather forget. Not to mention the fact that a police officer thought I was her mother. Trust me! I do not look that old. She does look young, and I was bailing her out of jail, but still...jackass!

When she came out carrying her things in a plastic bag, I had the strangest rush of emotions I have ever felt in my life. There was the ever-present overwhelming love I always feel, and the fury due to her arrest, but there was also pain, and fear, and so much relief. I am not a demonstrative person, especially not in public, but I could not hold back from embracing her. I kissed her in the station in front of judging, homophobic eyes. Definitely not her mom! And then I snatched her hand and practically dragged her from the building.

Pura did not speak. I opened her door for her and she climbed in. I walked around and got in the passenger side. I did not even bother to put the keys in the ignition. To be honest, I did not think it was wise for me to be operating heavy machinery at the moment. I turned and looked at her. I said nothing. What on earth was there to say?

She looked my direction--not in my eyes. "Are you done putting up with me now?" she whispered.

If I hadn't been angry before, this would have gotten me there, but as I was, it slayed me! "What?! I just paid your bail! I have literally never been as angry at you before in my life!" FYI, she was arrested for something completely in violation of her safety and her commitment to me. I will not go into the details here, because it's kind of sensitive to me right now, but it's a big, big, BIG deal! "Are you trying to get me to be done with you? I would rather you just walk away then do something this stupid! If you're trying to get rid of me, just tell me at once."

And she started crying. "No! No, Mistress, I'm not! I swear I'm not. I just got drunk and stupid. I'm sorry. I don't want you to leave me. I don't want to leave. I want you forever and ever!" At this point, she became incoherent due to her tears.

I did not soften, and I usually do. "What you did was reckless and completely irresponsible, and it betrayed me. You betrayed me!"

She muttered something I could not understand, and I grabbed her face so she would look at me. "Say it again," I ordered.

"I'm so, so sorry," she sobbed. "This is all wrong. It's a huge mess. My mom just..."

I am sure my eyes narrowed as she drew back from me. I can look extremely fierce when I am feeling protective. "What does she have to do with this?" I hissed at her.

She swallowed and tried to speak through fresh tears. "She called Katy's phone tonight," she whispered. Katy was one of the other friends who got arrested tonight. She is from Pura's home town. She recently moved here and has been trying to rebuild her friendship with Pura. Welcome to the city...Grrr!

"Why?"

Pura squeezed her eyes shut. "She read Fifty Shades of Grey and thought I might be being abused."

The nerve of that woman! The greatest abuser of them all! "So she called you?"

Pura shook her head. "Not my mom," she corrected. "Katy read the book. She called my mom. Then, tonight, when we were together, Katy texted her, and my mom called and...she talked to me about my future." Pura closed her eyes. "I did not know what to say...I kind of got mad, but I did not know how to not talk to her with Katy and Kennedy right there watching me, all worried. I finally told my mom not to call me again unless she went through you. And I said I couldn't leave you because you got me pregnant."

She sort of smiled here, and so did I, despite my anger. Obviously there was no pregnancy in our lives until we arranged for it in a very big way. But her witty answer to her mother's intrusion was typical of Pura in her fury. But I was not going to let her distract me with her wit.

"Why didn't you call me?" I demanded. "If your friends formulated all this, you should have called me to pick you up at once." I asked her why, but I knew what had happened. I know Pura. She felt trapped and uncomfortable, and her friends were acting out of love and concern, so she did not feel like she could be rude. So she got drunk. The worst possible reaction!

"I'm sorry," she whispered, and more tears.

"Pura, you can't just say you're sorry and expect this all to go away. You have a court date. You're on record. You have two 'friends' -and note that I use this term very liberally- who also have court dates and records, because you got drunk. I don't care if your mother shows up and calls you a whore to your face--that does not give you the right to endanger yourself and others. It does not give you the right to betray me!"

She crumpled in the seat, completely destroyed by my words.

"Let's go home," I said, and turned to drive the car.

Out of time. Lame! I have to go, but I will come back and finish this later. And just for your benefit, Ana: Pura will not be able to blog for a little while...at least until she can sit down.

Maybe not then.

*Makes a furious sound and glares into the middle distance.* Damn you, Christian Grey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felicia and Amber

Homework Loopholes

When a Tree Falls...